Father’s Day is around the corner and while you are getting pummeled with gift ideas for dad ranging from grill accessories to camping gear, I thought I would share some ideas for those non-outdoorsy, nerdy dads…like myself.
1. Gift Card to Local Comic Shop
If the dad you are shopping for is a fan of comics, he will be a huge fan of this gift idea. Brand new comics these days are about $3.99 with variant covers costing a little more. A $25 gift card will go a long way for your comicbook fan.
2. Marvel Unlimited subscription
If dad likes reading things on his electronic devices more than reading a physical book, Marvel Unlimited is for him. For either $9.99 per month or $69 per year, you have streaming access to 15,000+ Marvel titles, and member-only deals on Marvel comics and merchandise. If you want to pay $99 per year, you get everything mentioned above along with (for a limited time) an exclusive limited edition Hasbro Legends 6’ AU Variant Ultron figure, a variant edition of Age of Ultron #10, a personalized Marvel Unlimited Plus Membership card, invites to member only events, 15% off digital comics and collections every day at the Marvel Digital Comic shop, and 10% off Marvel merchandise every day at MarvelShop.com
3. Comixology e-gift card
Comixology is like your virtual comic shop that has all the comics you could ever want in one place. If dad likes reading on his electronic devices but is more into other publishers (DC, Dark Horse, IDW, etc.), you can get an e-gift card from Comixology and dad can enjoy his favorite comics from his smart phone, tablet, or computer.
4. Hoodies/Graphic Tees
Nerdy/Geeky hoodies and graphic tees seem to be the in thing now. Clothing wise, it has never been a better time to be a nerdy/geeky dad. You can go shop online at places like thinkgeek.com and teefury.com, or you can find nerdy/geeky shirts at pretty much every big box store. You can also follow Styled by Marvel on Instagram for some clothing ideas.
5. RFID Blocking Wallet
Credit cards are becoming so tech savvy that they are starting to become a nuisance. Thanks to RFID technology you can now pay for items just by tapping your cards to the card reader, rather than using the magnetic strip. With advances in technology, we usually run into people who are able to alter the technology to take advantage of people. Criminals are using RFID scanners to steal card information from people using cards with RFID chips in them. Help the dad in your life stop this from happening by getting him a RFID blocking wallet. You can make it extra nerdy by getting him this Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D inspired wallet from thinkgeek.com.
6. Subscription Box Service
Subscription boxes have become such a staple in the nerd/geek community. Every month you get a box filled with nerdtastic items. There are quite a few out there, but here are my favorite 3 that I have come across.
- Marvel Collectors Corp – Is the dad in your life a big Marvel fan? You can choose a $25 every other monty for 1 box or you can prepay 6 boxes for $125 and you get a free annual gift. Each box comes with a collectible items created by Marvel and Funko. Each box values at $50 worth of items.
- LootCrate – If dad is has a wide variety of things that he geeks out over, LootCrate is the way to go. You never know what you will get from LootCrate, but you will always enjoy when that box arrives at your doorstep. LootCrate has four different plans that you can sign up for. Their one and done box is $19.95, the 3 month plan is $19.25 per month, 6 month plan is $18.95 per month, and the 1 year plan is $17.95 per month. The 1 year plan includes a bonus gift.
- NerdBlock – NerdBlock gives you the opportunity to narrow down what you could get in your monthly box. There are 6 different categories to choose from. There are probably on 4 categories that you would choose for dad. The ComicBlock comes with 3 comics, a shirt, and a collectible for $13.99 per month. The ArcadeBlock is a mystery box that gives you mystery gaming collectibles and a new shirt in every box for $19.99 per month. The HorrorBlock has collectibles from your favorite horror movies and a new shirt in every box for $19.99 per month. And lastly, the Classic NerdBlock is a mystery box filled with all sorts of collectibles and a new shirt with every box for $19.99 per month. You can do a monthly subscription where you pay the cost of the box plus shipping. You can also do 3, 6, and 12 month subscriptions, each of those plans comes out as a one time payment.
7. Netflix Subscription
With classic shows like Star Trek, M*A*S*H, Bill Nye the Science Guy and Netflix Originals like Daredevil, and House of Cards, dad will spend hours being nostalgic and falling in love with new shows when he logs in for the first time. For $7.99 you can stream to 2 screens at a time with HD availability, and for $11.99 you can stream on 4 screens at a time with HD and Ultra HD availability.
8. Movie Tickets
Why not surprise dad with tickets to a movie that’s already out or even pre-sale tickets to an upcoming movie (Ant-Man comes to mind). You can find pre-sale tickets from Fandango.
9. Tickets to upcoming Con
In my opinion, convention tickets are the ultimate Father’s Day gift. I am not just talking about comic conventions, there are many different kinds of conventions going on throughout the year. You can look into tickets for cons like the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention, Dragon Con, or something like Walker Stalker Con. If you have never had a convention experience, I recommend finding a more localized con. For example, I wanted to make sure that a con was something that I could do with a toddler, so I attended the first Salt Lake Comic Con. The convention was held 5 miles from my house and it was small enough that I felt like I could do everything that I wanted to plus we go to see everything that I wanted J to see. Now J and I are planning on going to conventions outside of Utah. Going to cons can be expensive, but they are so much fun and it’s something that you can make a family outing.
10. Nerdist.com’s Ultimate Convention Hoodie
If you decided to go with tickets to a con, you can’t go wrong with Nerdist.com’s Ultimate Convention Hoodie as an additional gift. For $65 dad is getting the best hoodie he could ever need for his con experience. Look at this picture and tell me this is not the coolest hoodie in the entire world.